If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
ANDERSON AND BEALL
By Mrs. Jonny Adams—
The Thomas Franklin Anderson, Sr., family came from Mashuliville, Mississippi to Austin, Texas, where they lived several years before moving to Floyd Co. by covered wagons in 1891. They established a farm homestead in the Irick Community.
John Killis Anderson, the second son of seven children born to T. F. Anderson, Sr. and his wife, Margaret Hunter Anderson, married Beaulah Beall in 1892. To this union were born five children. The oldest, Thomas Franklin, Jr. (known as TF) was born in 1894 in a half-dugout on the homestead. A second son, O. Jay, was born in 1897. John Killis built a two-room house with lumber hauled by wagon team from Amarillo. This home was blessed by the birth of two daughters, Bertie Mae in 1900 (now Bertie Hill, still living in Lockney) and Gladys Viola in 1903. Another daughter Lora Winona, was born in 1911 on a place owned by Will McGhee in the south edge of Lockney.
In the early 1900’s a prairie fire destroyed John Killis’ barn and all the feed and grain except for a sack of shelled corn that was in the house. This was to be taken to Jim Dagley and ground into meal. Neighbors came to help fight the fire and saved the house with water pumped by hand. All the animals were singed and the cows bags were blistered from the heat. The chickens were huddled against the northeast side of the house away from the raging fire.
John Killis sold the homestead in 1905 and moved to Floyd, New Mexico (Roosevelt Co.) where he filed homestead on 160 acres. John Killis and son, TF, would come back to Lockney to work in the harvest and do odd jobs. Beaulah and the younger children would stay on in New Mexico at least six months each year. One year Beaulah told the children that TF must be coming home for Christmas because all night the windmill had seemed to say “TF is coming for Christmas-TF is coming for Christmas. “One evening TF did drive in bringing other relatives from Texas for Christmas. The family lived out the claim in 1917, sold it, and moved back to the Irick Community.
The Thomas Fredrick Beall family came to Floyd Co. the same year as the Andersons (1891). They came from Van Zandt Co, where Mr. Beall was born. This family also homesteaded in the Irick Community and lived in a half-dugout (there John Killis Anderson and Beulah Beall were married.)
Grandpa Beall freighted lumber by wagon from Amarillo and built a four-room house on the homestead. Years later he sold the place (known by many as the Sutton place, recently burned). The land is presently farmed by W. H. (Doc) Britton.
Grandpa Beall built another house just to the north and west on a tract of land where he lived many years. His body was laid to rest in the Irick Cemetery along with other members of the Beall and Anderson families.
Written from memories of Bertie Hill (Lockney) and her sister Gladys Hansen (Mesa, Arizona), December 1977.